Saturday, March 31, 2012

Online Romance Scams

I'm pretty sure I was on the road to someone making an attempt to scam me. 

Gullible - silly - if it's too good to be true, then it is.

I met this guy on line and he was believable - wait, no he really wasn't - I just wanted to believe.  Here I am talking about the joys of independence and the first guy with flowery phrases and talking about destiny that comes along, and I put aside common sense and questions and go for it. 

I mean, I did question and I did do some research, but I still did not listen to my insides saying "wait a minute here - really?".  So for the first time in 10 years, I felt hope.  You know, that little feathery thing that sits on your shoulder.  Hope is insidious, it creeps up on you.  It gives a bounce to your step, and it gets the insides quivering. 

So, I thought - cool.  Someone that has the potential of caring - I should have known better.  But, I didn't.  And now he is blocked, all safeguards are up, and I'm not devastated.  I'm not happy about it, but I'm not down.  I've learned a valuable lesson. 

That even if the person I thought might care - well, he helped me to care about myself again.  A true gift.  I awoke and am more alive.  Even if nothing ever happens with anyone who is real, even if those possibilities are forever closed to me - I am here, I am alive, I have hope for a fuller life.  Even if that life is alone. 

So, don't fall for a scammer that preys on lonely women - or lonely men for that matter.  But take it to heart that  you are valuable, that you are worthy of love, that there is hope - - - - -

No comments:

Post a Comment